Sunday, December 12, 2010

Snow on our Shoes

I thought I already knew the answer I would get when I called my friend Erika to invite her to come snowshoeing with me. It's December after all, and all you hear is how busy everyone is. I was pleasantly surprised when she said her day was open and she would come along.

Erika had never snowshoed before and it was amusing to think that a Brazilian girl was introducing an Alaskan gal to this sport. The beauty of it is, that it's an easy sport to learn; you just really need to know how to walk and you get a great workout. Actually, the beauty of it is, all the surroundings, the peace and the quiet.

We were even treated to a warm & comfy fire after our snowbound gallivanting. The boys were spending the night at the Mountaineers Lodge with their scout group. We hung out there to wait for my neighbor Lolita, who give us a ride back home. The friendly lodge hostess, Judy, invited us to stay for dinner since there were some people who had not been able to come, and there was plenty of food. Talking about Judy, we will have to go out with her next time to take our snowshoeing to a the higher level. She was taking a few ladies out who also had never tried it. Judy told us she would show them some basics, like how to fall and so on. Turns out that "falling", meant roiling down a hill somersault style, and if you are too timid to try it, she will just give you a push. Now there is a good way to learn it! Everyone staying at the lodge has a chore to do. Nolan, Shawn and some other great cooks prepared a delicious dinner, which was savored by all. After dinner, Ethan, my friends and I headed home while the older boys stayed up there, with hopes of another snow day today. Unfortunately, the "Pineapple Express" brought warmer temperatures which is now dumping rain up there. Regardless, I'm sure they are finding ways to have a good time.
I know I did!

2 comments:

Jill said...

what a fun thing to do!! glad Erika did not have to mop her floors or something that day! :)

BRIDGET said...

Thanks for this post!
I've always wondered what the inside of the lodge looked like...
I might have to go one of these years!