Saturday, June 9, 2012

Cooking at Fort Worden


Somehow I volunteered myself to help cook for 62 middle school students during their camp out retreat at Fort Worden.  I was told our kitchen facilities probably consisted of one outlet, one or two picnic tables under some kind of a shelter/ lean-to structure and a spigot somewhere in our camping area.  What was I thinking when I signed up for this? To complete the picture, the forecast looked pretty wet & miserable!
Fortunately I was not the one in control of this situation, and as always, God took care of us in better ways that we could have imagined!
I was joined by two hard working, motivated & fun parents that made for a great cooking team.  Our facilities were very luxurious compared to what we had expected.  We even had 4 outlets, a serving counter and the spigot was not that far off (we always found students that "volunteered" to fetch water for us)!  There was enough cover to accommodate the cooking area and tables for all the students.  As for the weather, we even had to get sunglasses & sunscreen out!  Yes, we had some rain in the evenings, a few leaky tents & wet sleeping bags, but everybody managed well and now have experiences to share.










No comments: