Saturday, December 6, 2008

Oh the Joy of . . .

. . . Christmas lights! I really enjoy a Christmas tree full of bright clear lights, but it is a chore to wind them all around every branch of the tree. The boys wait (impatiently) while I put the lights strands on, so that they will be able to hang the ornaments. This year Shawn and the boys wanted to surprise me. They would set up the tree and all the lights while I was away. That was the idea anyways. I got home to a tree with with half of the lights working, a big pile of discarded light strands, boys that had long lost interest in the tree and a husband that still seemed calm but obviously very frustrated. We worked with the remaining functioning lights and it looked like we had accomplished the task of distributing the lights evenly all over the tree; as long as we turned the tree to hide a few of the lower branches without lights. As we were turning the tree, all the lights went off. NOW WHAT !! Turns out that the wire came right off the plug due to the tension. Instead of just giving up, which I'm sure he felt like, my dear husband got out his tools and the electrical insulated tape. In no time we were back in business again.
After waiting an extra long time this year, the boys were finally able to hang the ornaments. I have to say though, I heard Shawn mention that next year we are getting one of those trees with ready to go lights. My questions is, what will happen if one those strands burn out?

1 comment:

jilanbil@yahoo.ca said...

I am very impressed that Shawn was able to stay calm. During many similar experiences, I'm ashamed to say I reacted with much less patience. It's great to see you and the boys. I miss our times together as families and being able to talk with you guys. Merry Christmas! Mark