Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Spontaneity & Solitute

I'm one of those people who loves lists, and loves to scratch off accomplished things on the list. I like routines, organization, goals, achieving goals and so on. It was all well until the kiddos started arriving. I got an introduction in flexibility with the arrival of the first. By the time our second son was born I had moved on to "Flexibility 101". With three kids you are automatically enrolled in a crash course of chaos management. When we moved to Washington I learned to adjust our schedule to the weather. You go out and enjoy the outdoors when its sunny and catch up with chores during the rainy stretches. I was again enrolled in a class of adaptability when we started homeschooling. I'm glad I have learned a few of these things along the way or I might not have agreed to go up to the mountains today. I had, after all, a list of household chores and schools goals for the boys, but look what I would have missed.
While the boys were skiing I went for a hike and found a place with complete solitude and silence. It was such a treat to my senses, soul and spirit.
We adapted the school work to be done in the car. I'm now home, doing some laundry, (gotta scratch off some stuff from the to do list) and getting ready to cook some meals to add to the freezer, (gotta add a few things to the meal list). I have changed some, but not that much. Maybe I'm just getting a little closer to some kind of a balance.

1 comment:

Jill said...

just beautiful, Simone, your words and the scenes!!