Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Save the Tulips

My mother wasn't quite sure what those bulbs that I quickly shoved into our hard ground on a fall afternoon would produce. She didn't think that much would come out of my half-hearted effort; and to be honest, I wasn't sure what to expect from a big discounted bag of mixed tulip bulbs purchased at a box retailer. Well, we were all surprised! The following spring our driveway was adorned with beautiful tulips. Our neighbours admired them as they commented that it was so amazing that the deer didn't get them. Yeah, well! The word got out and spread really fast in the woods. The following years, the deer came to join the party. They get them when they are just coming out of the ground, nice plump juicy greens. Every year I say I will beat them by spraying the bulbs with my "liquid fence". As we came home the other day, I saw to my surprise and horror, that the bulbs were up several inches. Lucky for me the deer had not smelled it yet, so I got my ammunition out. They are safe for now, but I have not won yet. It takes discipline to keep up with the spraying, and since it's still February with the Winter Olympics in our backyard, tulips are not first on my mind.

1 comment:

Jill said...

The top picture--are those your tulips THIS year?? Surely not yet!!

And about the Olympics in your backyard! How fun is that for you guys. Are you planning to attend any of the events??