Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Canning & Jamming

Berry season is in full swing and so the salmon run is going strong. Our family picked close to 100# of berries and our neighbors caught 160# of salmon. The logical thing to do was to have a big work party to get all these Northwest delicacies processed.

Our dear neighbors who shared their abundance with us, not to mentioned the expert help of her mom, who provided us with the pot, experience and a willing helping hand.

I wish I had pictures of all those beautiful, colorful, juicy berries, but my hands were busy picking and for once I put the camera aside.
Here is part of the final product, over 30 jars of delicious jam. To some it would last several years, with my jam loving eaters, I'll be lucky if it lasts to next season.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Would love to know what's in the jars with the salmon and how you cook it after it's canned.

You are so resourceful and ambitious, Simone!

Unknown said...

looks great!! was this your first year canning or just the first year canning salmon?