Thursday, March 6, 2008

IF YOU GIVE A BOY A SHOVEL

He might ask you for some dirt to dig. You give him some woods where he can dig to his heart's content. He will ask you for another shovel for a friend that joined him. Add to the mix a few more brothers and neighbors and the story will end there. He will not ask for anything else and you won't hear or see him for the rest of the afternoon.
It was a beautiful afternoon and after the boys were done with their school work I sent them outside. Not even 15 minutes later they were back inside. I gave them a choice of either staying outside or helping me with the laundry. I did not even hear the answer as I saw the door close behind them. "How long do we have to stay outside?" Until the sun sets, was my reply. It turned out that when the sun did set, they were begging for a few minutes more. They started on a "booby trap" project that required a lot of time! So, just give your boy a shovel and you should have plenty time for your house chores. Only be aware of "traps" when you walk about in your yard.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I love the way you wrote this, Simone. Very clever. I also love the two choices the kids had.

Anonymous said...

See Here or Here

rjhw said...

Hey there buhlers, just thought I would drop in and say Hi!! send us an e-mail so we can have your address.