Saturday, May 10, 2008

Field Trips

The boys have enjoyed a few entertaining and educational field trips. We were able to get a little taste of what life was like in the pioneer days. The boys cut some wood, sowed seeds, wrote with a quill, grounded wheat and made candles. When we discussed in what era would they rather live, they chose the pioneer days, "because you get to chop wood". Upon further discussion we all agreed that even though some of the aspects of pioneer times are very appealing, we are happy to be living in this century. I still like baking my own bread, but I'm very glad I can buy wheat at the store and plug in my Kitchen Aid, and the boys can chop wood on our camping trips!! This last week we were immersed in the Civil War and the high point of our studies was a Civil War Exhibition. It goes without saying that the boys enjoyed it immensely. Shawn and I, having grown up in other countries, learned a lot too and we had some great family conversations about it.

No comments: