Friday, October 17, 2008

All About Whales

We have been having fun reading and learning "Exploring Creation with Zoology: Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day". I had a strong feeling this would be a big hit with Nolan, since he loves anything to do with marine life. Sure enough, if it was up to him we would do science all day, every day. Nolan and Ethan both, just absorbed all the information as we went trough the whale chapter. With the forecast calling for beautiful day the next day, I thought we should end this chapter in style, with a nice field trip. A trip to the beach just wouldn't do it, I needed to find something more of a "whale scale". Whale watching would have been great, but I could not quite pull that one off. So the next best thing was the Whale Museum in Friday Harbor. Who could pass a school day with a nice ferry ride to the San Juan's on a beautiful September. I called Ann up and she was happy to size the moment and joined me on this trip. Who needs advanced planning! We had a fun and very educational day. The boys were amazed to be able to see and touch the things we have been studying. I tried to explained the sizes of the whales by comparing it to objects they know, but nothing can quite make the same impression as when you are standing beside a baleen of a Bow whale and it's at least twice your height. And that is just a piece of their mouth!!!

I'm obviously not posting this picture to show off my photography talent, but you had to see the size of this baleen.

No comments: