Monday, November 10, 2008

"The Experience"

This year our boys wanted to experience the real "trick or treating". Our streets have never been the best for this activity, having no side walks, street lights and being very curvy. We have gone to a couple neighbors in the past and then headed to safe indoor festivities. So this year we went to our friends, the Davis's, new house in a new neighborhood just perfect for trick or treating. I really don't know who had more fun, the dad's or the kids, and at the end, they came home with plenty of sweets. Nolan even showed me the educational value of all the candy by building a symmetrical structure.

A week before Halloween I told the boys to think about what they wanted to dress up in so we could find the props. I refuse to buy ready made costumes when we have so much "dress up" stuff around the house, and besides, what a great opportunity to get creative. The boys kept changing their mind up to a few hours before we left. This is what they came up with, Christian as "the shadow warrior", Nolan as "Davy Crockett", Ethan as a "sheriff" and Shawn as a "hobo".

My all time favorite costume was when the boys went out as the "Three Amigos". Even back then I had to persuade them this was a great and creative prop. I have not been able to convince them to try it again.

No comments: