Monday, September 7, 2009

Product of a Blackout

Nolan made a reasonable request to have the last two weeks of summer vacation totally off. He was hoping for a total "brain freeze", no math quizzing, reading or anything that would remotely smell like education. Fair enough! Along with that I did not put any limit on their DS or TV. It did not take long for the bickering and rudeness to start. I have an unfounded, unscientific theory that if the kids are left with no restrictions to their electronic devises for entertainment, they rapidly become unpleasant, it works every time at our house. That's how our blackout was declared, and if they complained about boredom, I told them, I had plenty of educational stuff to keep them busy. They ran to the outdoors. Ah, the smell of fresh air! Christian joined the sailing racing camp down by the lake, and Nolan and Ethan started to dig an "air soft bunker". They spent days on end digging and getting dirty, and they got quite a bunker, with a tunnel and all.
Today there are numerous boys running around out there and reaping the benefits of their work, thanks to the blackout, I must say.
The brain freeze as come to an end as well, we are now in what I call the "brain awakening stage" and the boys would call it "brain torture". I'm sure they will survive, and maybe even emerge a little smarter, who knows?

No comments: