Thursday, July 29, 2010

Pace Setter

We set out to Church Mountain knowing that the 4.4 mile trail gained 1000ft in elevation per mile. Nolan was committed to doing it. I figured we would have to slow down the pace a bit for him, but otherwise he would be OK. Turns out I should have worried more about myself; Nolan led the hike and set a pace that I had to work hard to keep up with.

After 17 switch backs (yes we counted them), we were rewarded with spectacular views.

Upon checking the GPS, they determined we still had a little ways to go and a few more (5) switchbacks ahead of us. Once we got to our destination at 6000ft, it was definitely time for lunch. It's amazing how good a smooched and warm sandwiche tastes after a arduous hike. Nothing like a siesta after our tummies were full. This rock ledge was amazingly comfortable, the sun warmed it up nicely and the light breeze kept the bugs away. Nolan was ready to head down, but Shawn and I could had stay there all afternoon.
Fresh mountain stream water to cool off.
One might even question if I was really there, since all pictures are of Shawn and Nolan. Well, I sure tried to get on to one too, was I just could not quite make it!

1 comment:

Ann said...

At least you got your backside in the shot! Looks like it was a great day!